Girl, be honest: are you sporting a serious crescent moon of natural nail growth under that gel polish? Here’s how to do a DIY GEL REMOVAL:
1. Head to Sally or another beauty supply store and buy a bottle of acetone (the real deal). You’ll also need cotton balls, squares of foil, and a cuticle pusher. You might also want a buff block and something good on Netflix.
2. Speed up your soak time by filing off the shiny top layer of your gel polish (optional, but helpful).
3. Soak a cotton ball with acetone and place on your nail, then wrap it all up securely in a tinfoil burrito. Continue with the rest of your hand. (Or find someone to wrap ‘em all for you!)
4. Relax for 10-15 minutes. (I prefer seasons 2 and 3 of “30 Rock.”)
5. Remove one foil and GENTLY scrape the polish from your nail with the cuticle pusher. It should flake off easily. If not, rewrap and soak again for another 5-10 minutes.
6. Continue until your nails are polish-free. Use a buff block to lightly remove any residue left behind. Wash your hands well, then apply your favorite cuticle oil or rich hand cream.
P.S. This also works with glitter polish! Skip step 2 and only soak for 5 minutes.